House (Hugh Laurie) assesses the situation at an accident site in the HOUSE season finale episode "Help Me" airing Monday, May 17 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
©2010 FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY
Credit: Adam Taylor/FOX
- May 17, 2010 (in a 61 min time slot)
- Download this episode after broadcast
- From Amazon Unbox for $1.99 (available a day or so after initial broadcast - please always click on our page to order your download)
- Written by
- Russel Friend & Garrett Lerner & Peter Blake
- Directed by
- Greg Yaitanes
- No outside music only from the music staff.
- Patient of the Week:
- Two patient: The crane operator who caused the accident. And a woman whose leg is pinned --- others want to amputate the leg and House objects.
- How House gets involved:
- Cuddy insists that House join a team to treat victims of a huge accident in which a crane crashed into a building.
- The privacy invasion / ethical breach / Rule Breaking
- Preliminary diagnoses:
- Taub thinks the crane operator just fell asleep on the job causeing the accident.
- The final diagnosis
- For the crane operator: arachnoid cyst on his lower spine (so he didn't fall asleep). For Hanna, they always knew that an amputation could cause a fat embolism.
- Who Came up with final diagnosis
- Clinic Patients
- Additional Information:
- House gives Cuddy the book her grandfather wrote, which he spent a lot of the last episode recovering and which is worth several thousand dollars.
- Cuddy got engaged the night before.
- Thirteen leaves a note on House's desk asking for some time off.
- Quotes, Quotations, Dialogue, Scenes:
- A crane crashed into the building it was working on. House finds a woman trapped below ground who no one else thought was there. Her leg is trapped and they fail to get her out with their usual tools. She forms a bond to House and he comes to feel for her even to offering her his phone to call her husband although that raises her blood pressure which makes her worse. He tells her. "That was stupid of me."
"It was nice."
"I don't see that as a contradiction...."
House starts rubbing his leg. "Can I ask what's wrong with your leg."
"Crane fell on it. Small world."
"You could have just said no."
"I'll remember that for my next human contact.
"Will you pray with me?
"No. I'm not in the habit of encouraging my patients' superstitions."
"How is that a habit? You plan on getting trapped under a building again?"
"I don't believe in God."
"Neither do I. Please." House folds his hands and closes his eyes. After a few moments, she says, "I always thought if I did the right thing, if I treated people right, then good things would happen to me. You think that's how it works?"
"I didn't used to. Then recently I tried. Now I don't know."
- House fights hard to save Hanna's leg from amputation but Cuddy thinks he is just trying to get back at her. She tells him, "I know you're angry but please don't put her life at risk just to get back at me.... You took her side against me right after you heard about my engagement."
"Yeah that must be it. It's not that you're a pathetic narcissist."
"I don't love you. So just --- accept it and move on with your live instead of making everyone miserable.... I'm sick of making excuses for you I'm sick of other people having to tiptoe around you and make their own lives worse while they try to keep you from collapsing. I'm done."
"Fantastic. Just stay away from my patient."
"What are you clinging to, House? You gonna risk her life just to save her leg? Really worked out well for her, didn't it? What do you have in your life? Honestly. Tell me. I'm moving on. Wilson is moving on. And you --- you've got nothing, House. Nothing. I'm going down there and I'm gonna convince her to let me cut her leg off. If you have any decency left, you're stay out of it."
- But Cuddy doesn't succeed with th patient until House joins them. He says, "Hanna, we have to amputate your leg.
"No, you said that there was time."
"There was. And it's run out."
"You asked me how I'd hurt my leg. I had a blood clot and the muscle was dying. And I had all these doctors telling me I should amputate and I said no and they did this very risky operation. I almost died."
"But you saved your leg."
"I wish I hadn't. They cut out a chunk of muscle about the size of my fist and they left me with this mutilated, useless thing. I'm in pain, every day. And it changed me. Made me a harder person. A worse person. An now --- now I'm alone. You don't want to be like me. You got a husband who loves you. You got friends. You can start a family. You have a life. And this --- this is just a leg."
She takes a moment and then she give in."Okay."
House turns to Cuddy and says, "I got it?" And he reaches for the electric saw and the other tools he will need.
- House gets the patient out and goes with her in the ambulance but on the way she develops a fat embolism from the amputation and dies. House takes it hard. Foreman has rushed to the ambulance to help but it is all over. He tells House, "You can't blame yourself for her death. This wasn't you fault."
"That's the point." He shouts. "I did everything right. She died anyway! Why the hell do you think that would make me feel any better?"
"you shouldn't be alone right now." And after a moment he tells House, "You're bleeding."
House is crazy with anger. "I'm gonna give you as task as an employee. Get out of my way." Foreman obeys.
- It seems House still had a stash of Vicodin in his apartment. He gets out a couple of pills but sits there with them. Cuddy shows up and he asks her,"You gonna leap across the room and grab them out of my hand?"
"No. It's your choice if you want to go back on drugs."
"Okay. Just so you know, I'm finding it hard to see the downside."
"you need to re-bandage your shoulder."
"Is that why you're here. Foreman sent you."
"You here to yell at me again?"
"Well, I'm running out of ideas."
"Oh, great. you're feeling uncomfortable again...."
"I ended it."
"I'm stuck, House. I keep wanting to move forward. I keep wanting to move on and I can't. I mean, my new house, with my new fiance, and all I can think about is you. I just need to know if you and I can work."
"You think I can fix myself?
"I don't know."
"Cause I'm the most screwed up person in the world."
"I know. I love you. I wish I didn't. But I can't help it."
House has to ask her for a hand to get up. When he kisses her, he asks, "How do I know I'm not hallucinating?"
"Did you take the Vicodin?"
He looks down at the two pills still in his hand and says, "No."
"Then I think we're okay."