- December 9, 2008 (note: runs 62 min)
House (Hugh Laurie) is determined to win a holiday bet with Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard) in the HOUSE episode "Joy to the World" airing Tuesday, Dec. 9 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
©2008 Fox Broadcasting Co.
Credits: Greg Gayne/FOX
- Download this episode after broadcast
- From Amazon Unbox for $1.99 (available a day or so after initial broadcast - please always click on our page to order your download)
- Written by
- Peter Blake
- Directed by
- David Straiton
- Book Mentioned
- A Manual of the Operations of Surgery by Joseph Bell, several reprint editions are available (editor's note: Joseph Bell was the doctor upon whom Arthur Conan Doyle based the character of Sherlock Holmes --- it might make a great Christmas gift for anyone who is a Sherlock Holmes fanatic)
- Christmas time
- Patient of the Week:
- Natalie is sixteen years old, overweight and often bullied. She develops hallucinations and starts vomiting.
- How House gets involved:
- Cuddy brings him the case.
- The privacy invasion / ethical breach
- Making up a miracle to "help" a patient.
- Preliminary diagnoses:
- Natalie's classmates gave her hallucinogenic mushrooms, Natalie may have taken an overdose of pain killers, TB, alcohol withdrawal, leukemia and others.
- The final diagnosis
- Cuddy has a "House Moment" and deduces that Natalie has eclampsia and since she is not pregnant at the moment, that means she must have given birth within the last month or so.
- Clinic Patients
- House deduces that a woman who came in with a headache is pregnant but she swears her fiance and her are both virgins. In the spirit of Christmas House convinces the fiance that it is a virgin birth.
- A woman with asthma who doesn't understand how to use her inhaler.
- Additional Information
- Wilson calls House "Greg" in the card attached to the gift. He always calls him House.
- Cuddy finally gets her baby.
- Thirteen and Foreman get together. Since she is his patient in the drug trial, that might be unethical.
- Kutner bullied a kid in high school.
House (Hugh Laurie) is determined to win a holiday bet with Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard) in the HOUSE episode "Joy to the World" airing Tuesday, Dec. 9 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
©2008 FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY
Credit: Greg Gayne/FOX
- Additional Resources
Cast: Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House; Lisa Edelstein as Dr. Lisa Cuddy; Omar Epps as Dr. Eric Foreman; Robert Sean Leonard as Dr. James Wilson; Jennifer Morrison as Dr. Allison Cameron; Jesse Spencer as Dr. Robert Chase; Peter Jacobson as Dr. Chris Taub; Kal Penn as Dr. Lawrence Kutner; Olivia Wilde as Thirteen
Guest Cast: Lori Petty as Janice; B.K. Cannon as Natalie; Michael Leydon Campbell as Mr. Soellner; Sherilyn Fenn as Mrs. Soellner; Lucas Till as Simon; Phyllis Lyons as Dr. Schmidt; Bitsie Tulloch as Whitney; John Forrest as Geoff; Meaghan Jette Martin as Sarah; Taylor Dooley as Rachelle; Ben Shields as Jonathan; Alix Korey as Anna; Christopher DeMaci as Squatter; Marissa Ingrasci as Woman; Bobbin Bergstrom as Nurse
- Quotes, Quotations, Dialogue, Scenes
Last Christmas Wilson gave House a rare book as a Christmas present and finds out House never opened the gift but instead used it to see how his team would react to a mystery. Wilson objects. "You had my present for a year and didn't even open it?"
"I had no way of knowing there was an expensive book inside...."
"All the ways to mess with people. Why give yourself an imaginary present? ...The holidays --- They're bad for you. I get it. You see people around you giving and receiving gifts, having sustaining and meaningful relationships and since you can't, your subconscious makes you create the appearance of a gift."
"You really passed your psych rotation?"
"It's too bad you can't just be nice to people. You could get a real present that way."
"If I wanted gifts, I would just look deep in my patient's eyes and act like you: 'Oh I'm so sorry you're dying, Mrs. Moron. Of course, I'll sleep with you . What I lack in skill, I can make up for—"
"You'd just end up insulting her. Perhaps by calling her Mrs. Moron."
""Right because I'm physically incapable of being polite."
"Being kind in a sustained meaningful way? No."
"Oh, I get it. You're trying to get me to prove you wrong. Then I'm gonna be nice to all my patients all through the holiday season and then Mr. Potter won't steal Tiny Tim's porridge. I'm totally on to it."
"Yeah. That naturally is what I'm trying to do." Wilson pauses and shake's his head. "And the pathetic part is, it's not going to work."
"You're right. I've got to stop being such a jerk." House then steals Wilson's other ice cream.
Click picture above for all House shirts