- October 28, 2008
Cuddy (Lisa Edelstein) is forced to make a
difficult decision in the HOUSE episode "Joy"
airing Tuesday, Oct. 28 (8-9 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
Also pictured: Vanessa Zima.
©2008 Fox Broadcasting Co.
Credits: Greg Gayne/FOX
- Download this episode after October 29, 2008
- From Amazon Unbox for $1.99 (available a day or so after initial broadcast - please always click on our page to order your download)
- Written by
- David Hoselton
- Directed by
- Deran Sarafian
- Patient of the Week:
- Two patients:
Jerry Harmon, single father, "37 year old male with recurring blackouts" and hallucinations.
And Becca, who is pregnant and has agreed to have Cuddy adopt her baby girl when she is born in a few weeks. When they meet, Cuddy notices a rash on her arm.
- How House gets involved:
- Cuddy brings him the case of the man as he gets in one morning. House deduces the meeting Cuddy is having with the mother.
- The privacy invasion / ethical breach
- Taub and Thirteen invade the patient's home and later buy cocaine to check what the patient has been taking.
- Preliminary diagnoses
- When the team finds Jerry sleep walking they follow him and discover he buys and uses cocaine. Later when he starts seating blood, they think it might be Leukemia and they plan to do a bone marrow biopsy. But then they discover kidney failure and his blood pressure isn't high enough to do dialysis so they consider a transplant from the 12 year old daughter. But the daughter turns out to have the same basic medical problem.
Cuddy discovers that both mother (placental abruption) and baby (lungs are 10 weeks premature) are at risk and they need to make a choice about which risk to deal with first.
- The final diagnosis
- Jerry's name was originally, Jamal Hamoud and he is of middle eastern descent. This leads House to figure out that he and his daughter have Familial Mediterranean Fever.
Becca decides to not take any risk to herself but when the baby is born and is all right, she decides to keep her.
- Clinic Patient
- Additional Information
- Cuddy is thinking of calling the baby "Joy".
Cuddy (Lisa Edelstein) and House (Hugh Laurie)
treat a little girl (Joanna Koulis) and her father who
are both suffering from similar debilitating symptoms
in the HOUSE episode "Joy" airing Tuesday,
Oct. 28 (8-9 PM ET/PT) on FOX.
©2008 FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY
Credit: Greg Gayne/FOX
Cast: Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House; Lisa Edelstein as Dr. Lisa Cuddy; Omar Epps as Dr. Eric Foreman; Robert Sean Leonard as Dr. James Wilson; Jennifer Morrison as Dr. Allison Cameron; Jesse Spencer as Dr. Robert Chase; Peter Jacobson as Dr. Chris Taub; Kal Penn as Dr. Lawrence Kutner; Olivia Wilde as Thirteen
Guest Cast: Salvator Xuureb as Jerry Harmon; Joanna Koulis as Samantha Harmon; Vanessa Zima as Becca; Janice Allen as Sadie; Bobbin Bergstrom as Nurse
- Quotations, Quotes, Dialogue, Scenes:
- House tells Cuddy that she won't be approved by a birth mother because she would be a single mother. When Cuddy admits that she has already been approved, House is sure the baby will have problems and tells her that the child is likely to have terrible problems. When she doesn't listen, he tells her, "You're a control seeking narcissist. Which is fine, good even, in some jobs, but you're not equipped to handle a real kid, never mind a factory second."
But Cuddy insists he is wasting his time and she is not changing her mind. But being House, he puts a bet up on the white board because as he tells his new team, "She insisted that she's not gonna change her mind which means she's actually thought about changing her mind which means she's not sure she's ready to be a mom which means she's gonna change her mind."
- As Cuddy waits for a baby that has been discovered to have underdeveloped lungs, House asks her, "Is it really worth it? Just for the pursuit of unconditional love?"
"Only you could see that as a bad thing."
Click picture above for all House shirts
"It's a fake thing," House says with emphasis. "There's no unconditional love; it's just unconditional need. Don't make this child a victim of your biological clock."
"Victim? You think she's better off staying—"
"Yes! Because at least she knows she's not qualified for the job." After House deliberately breaks a lamp to show Cuddy the kind of thing she will face, she orders him out of her office.
- House brings Wilson a file, "I need your advice."
Without glancing at the file, Wilson immediately says, "It's not cancer."
"Wow. Can you removed spleens with your mind, too."
"You're here to talk about Cuddy. The file is a pretext."
""Why haven't you come to me to talk about Cuddy? I've bee doing all sorts of insane stuff."
"If she can't handle your insanity, she can't handle a baby."
"That's exactly my point."
"No, it isn't. You're feeling threatened because she's going on to high school and leaving you behind to repeat the eighth grade."
"She's sleeping with a math teacher to get a diploma."
"Adoption is cheating? Are they giving her a fake kid?"
"That's the problem. She gets to have a relationship with a kid when she can't handle one with an adult."
- Later House goes to visit Wilson. House's mind is on his patient but they end of talking about Cuddy. While Wilson gives his opinion, House's eyes glaze over and Wilson concludes from past experience, "I've just given you the answer haven't I? And now you're going to walk out of here without saying a word."
- After Cuddy's hopes for adoption are dashed, House comes over to her house that night. She tells him, "It's really not the greatest time for gloating."
"There's more than one baby in the sea. The world is full of teenage boys riding bareback."
"No. I'm done. I can't go through that again."
"You're quitting. Just like you quit IVF.
"Yeah. Just like that."
"There you just did it again. It's too bad. You would have been a great mother."
Cuddy os trying to hold back tears. "You son of a bitch. When I was getting a baby, you told me I would such as a mother. Now that I've lost it, you tell me I'd be great as a mother. Why do you need to negate everything?"
She has gotten through House's defenses. He softly says, "I don't know." and then he kisses her and she responds. He deliberately breaks it off and after a moment says, "Good night."